jueves, 11 de septiembre de 2008

本音 と 建前 Honne and tatemae

Two important japanese words. Honne= person´s true feelings and desire. Real intentions, feelings, etc. Tatemae= behaviour and opinions one displays in public. Diplomatic show of interest, concern, appreciation, etc.
Click on the comic to enlarge it pleaseI found that in the web, hope you like it: Women's Tatemae English: Yes = No , No = Yes, I'm sorry = You'll be sorry, We need = I want, It's your decision = The correct decision should be obvious by now, Do what you want = You'll pay for this later, We need to talk = I need to complain, Sure go ahead = I don't want you to, I'm not upset = Of course I'm upset, you moron!, You're so manly = You need a shave and you sweat a lot , You're certainly attentive tonight = Is sex all you ever think about? , Be romantic, turn out the lights = I have flabby thighs, This kitchen is so inconvenient = I want a new house , I want new curtains = and carpeting, and furniture, and wallpaper... , Hang the picture there = NO, I mean hang it there! , I heard a noise = I noticed you were almost asleep, Do you love me? = I'm going to ask for something expensive, How much do you love me? = I did something today you're really not going to like, I'll be ready in a minute = Kick off your shoes and find a good game on TV, Is my butt fat? = Tell me I'm beautiful, You have to learn to communicate = Just agree with me, Are you listening to me!? = [Too late, you're dead.] , Was that the baby? = Why don't you get out of bed and walk him until he falls asleep , I'm not yelling! = Yes, I am yelling because I think this is Important, The same old thing=Nothing, Nothing = Everything , Everything = My PMS is acting up, Nothing, really = It's just that you're such an *****.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Cuando conoces a los japoneses acabas automatizando este tipo de lenguaje, supongo que si uno tiene capacidad de adaptación incluso es capaz de utilizarlo, a los anglosajones les cuesta algo de trabajo, pero claro, como son los amos del mundo esperarán que sea el resto del mundo el que se adapte a lo que ellos hacen.